The Kitsap Sun began publication in 1935 as the Bremerton Sun. Originating as a publication of the Scripps League of Newspapers, it was so named to convey its relation to the League's then-existing, nearby Seattle Star. In 1940, John P. Scripps Newspapers obtained control of the newspaper. The paper was renamed The Sun in 1984 in an attempt to reflect its wider area of influence, a branding strategy common among newspapers at the time. It merged with The E.W. Scripps Company in 1986. Geographic identity returned to the brand in 2005, establishing the current name. The newspaper's home county and encompassing land mass of the Kitsap Peninsula are named for Chief Kitsap of the indigenous Suquamish people, the tribal nation once led by Seattle namesake Chief Sealth.
The Kitsap Sun has received numerous awards from local organizations and charities, sponsors a variety of community festivals and annually provides over $350,000 in cash and in-kind support to area non-profit organizations. An additional $100,000 has been raised in each of recent years through the annual Kitsap Sun Bellringer Campaign, a community-wide fundraising effort supporting nine local food banks.
From its peers in the industry and media organizations honoring journalism excellence, the Kitsap Sun's editorial team has been a frequent recipient of earned recognition.
Brent Morris, publisher
Founded: 1935; merged with Scripps: 1986
Access the Kitsap Sun:
P.O. Box 259
Bremerton, WA 98337-1413
phone: 360-377-3711 fax: 360-415-2681