Naples Daily News
The Naples Daily News was founded in 1923 as the Collier County News, a weekly newspaper published in Everglades City. By the 1940s, it was obvious that Naples, 40 miles to the north, was going to be the county's boomtown, so the News moved its operation there in 1948. In 1963, the paper began publishing the daily, changing its name to the Naples Daily News. With the area's rapid population growth and the sensitive ecosystems of the Gulf of Mexico and the Everglades, the News focuses much of its coverage on land development and the environment. Other important topics include tourism, agriculture, and recreation. In 1990 the Naples Daily News was one of 10 newspapers with under 50,000 circulation cited for excellence by the American Society of Newspaper Editors. In 1995 it won the Charles E. Scripps Award for support of literacy. The newspaper received Best Use of Photographs in the 1996 Pictures of the Year competition sponsored by the National Newspaper Photographers Association.
Bill Barker, chief revenue officer and regional publisher
Founded: 1923; purchased by Scripps: 1986
Access the Naples Daily News:
1100 Immokalee Road
Naples, FL 34110