NewsChannel 5 Investigators Earn Top Honors From Cleveland Press Club
Tue, June 17, 2008 by Dan Coyle
The NewsChannel 5 Investigators, northeast Ohio’s largest investigative team, captured six awards at the 30th annual Press Club of Cleveland/Ohio Excellence in Journalism Awards banquet. NewsChannel 5 Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman and Ron Regan earned both 1st and 2nd place honors in a variety of categories. “All of our hard work has been validated once more,” comments NewsChannel 5’s interim news director Jim Scott, referencing the station’s recent Associated Press Awards. “This is the kind of journalism our viewers expect from us, and being On Your Side is our commitment.” The complete list of NewsChannel 5’s Press Club awards are as follows:
- 1st Place, “Policing Themselves” - Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman and WEWS Special Projects Team
- 2nd Place, “Shreds Of Evidence” - Investigator Ron Regan and WEWS Special Projects Team
- PUBLIC SERVICE
- 1st Place, “Final Justice” – Investigator Ron Regan and WEWS Special Projects Team
- 2nd Place, “Wasted Windows” – Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman and WEWS Special Projects Team
- IN-DEPTH COVERAGE
- 1st Place, “The Wrong Men” - Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman and WEWS Special Projects Team
- ONGOING COVERAGE
- 2nd Place, “Caught In A Flash” – Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman and WEWS Special Projects Team
The E. W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) is a diverse and growing media enterprise with interests in national cable networks, newspaper publishing, broadcast television stations, electronic commerce, interactive media, and licensing and syndication.
The company’s portfolio of media properties includes: Scripps Networks, with such brands as HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Fine Living, Great American Country and HGTVPro; daily and community newspapers in 18 markets and the Washington-based Scripps Media Center, home to the Scripps Howard News Service; 10 broadcast TV stations, including six ABC-affiliated stations, three NBC affiliates and one independent; leading online search and comparison shopping services, Shopzilla and uSwitch; and United Media, a leading worldwide licensing and syndication company that is the home of PEANUTS, DILBERT and approximately 150 other features and comics.